Sticker Artwork

Share information about making your own gumball helmets.
TomS

Re: Sticker Artwork

Post by TomS »

Excellent work as usual Wizard!

Gumball Wizard
Site Admin

Post by Gumball Wizard »

TomS wrote:
Thu Feb 17, 2022 6:24 pm
Excellent work as usual Wizard!
You're very kind.

The new USFL teams revealed their uniforms today. The New Orleans Breakers design is a nightmare. I mean it looks fine, but translating it to gumball is proving to be challenging.

breaking.jpg

20220217_190636_resized.jpg

TomS

Post by TomS »

Best bet is to take the light blue/silver and keep that as a wrap around at the 45 degree angle separate from that rolling darker blue bump on the backside. I’ll tell you what, if you want to collaborate, I’ll start working on the Breakers tomorrow and do a proto in both sticker and paper with glue (like I did with the Battlehawks) to see which looks better and has the least amount of creasing. If it’s a collaboration, give me the other three teams you want me to do & we’ll just 50/50 it.

TomS

Post by TomS »

Never mind the collaboration, I didn’t see your finished pic! I’ll start the Breakers tomorrow and share the results

TomS

Post by TomS »

Still some tweaking to do. I have quests in from out of town but hope to finish by end of weekend. Can say a sticker print will probably have creases so it’s going to be a paper print with glue application.
Attachments
7E4C9394-B30D-4CBB-BDDB-90C37EDCC3F9.jpeg

TomS

Post by TomS »

This is it. I will probably revisit the downward angle of the wave where it connects to the back later.
Attachments
4CB7DDA1-9F7E-4968-9B5D-C7E1C4411145.jpeg
B8007CEA-EA74-4B02-8176-389A3E9E857F.jpeg
2A09DE6E-A9D6-4F31-A26B-B9E539AA2B2D.jpeg

Gumball Wizard
Site Admin

Post by Gumball Wizard »

TomS wrote:
Sun Feb 20, 2022 11:16 am
This is it. I will probably revisit the downward angle of the wave where it connects to the back later.
Interesting. The curvature of the "bridge" and the angling of the side part probably eliminates some of the problem I am having.

20220220_115720_resized.jpg

The overall effect from a distance I am not terribly unhappy with, but there's a lot of folding and crinkling that looks unsightly up close.

I like the way you represented the whole design in the traditional kidney-shaped side sticker. I hadn't even made an effort at that. Also, I had never tried a wraparound design for the old Breakers from the 80's, because the side sticker version looked good enough that I never bothered. (I did do a wraparound version of the Jacksonville Bulls that I like a lot. I guess at some point I should post updated versions of sets that I have already posted, or didn't bother to post because Bill Jones' designs are out there.)

This is what I'm wrapping around. I cut the dark blue and the light blue/gray parts separately and fit them as best I can.

breakers.jpg

TomS

Post by TomS »

I like the fullness of your wrap around, gives it more presence I think. I copied the arc of my wrap around from the pic of the back of the helmet, but the darker blue bump on the back didn’t translate the way I would have liked, I’m sure it will bother me enough to go at it again in the very near future. Unfortunately these stickers we print on are to thick to be wrapped without heavy creases and folds. The glue and paintbrush helps make plain paper more pliable to bend around the contours. Thanks for sharing Wizard, I’ll see if I can keep tweaking mine

Gumball Wizard
Site Admin

Post by Gumball Wizard »

Continuing to try to get a design closer to the real thing. I think some creasing/folding is inevitable, sort of like what I use for the CFL's Montreal Alouettes. It's hard to wrap a sticker around that much curved helmet without creasing, but a side sticker represents it about as well as OPI's version of the Cincinnati Bengals after 1980. (Referring to the Alouettes. The side sticker version of the Breakers actually doesn't look that bad.)

br.jpg

Gumball Wizard
Site Admin

Post by Gumball Wizard »

Updated LFA for 2022:

LFA 2022.jpg